Polyamory in the News
. . . by Alan M.



May 23, 2007

When you meet an FGO

The Stranger (Seattle)

Here's more voice-of-experience poly wisdom from Seattle columnist Mistress Matisse (May 23, 2007).


...Even when you're all committed to multiple love relationships, there are stumbling blocks. One that Max and I had to cope with is what happens when you don't get along with your partner's other lover.

Once upon a time, Max met a woman who I'll call Anna. She seemed like a perfectly charming person, and I gave Max my consent to begin a relationship with her. But over time, it turned out that Anna and I had vastly different ways of looking at the world — in short, she started getting on my nerves. First a little and then, over time, a lot.

You've heard the phrase "a growth opportunity"? In my circle, we call something like this an FGO, which stands for "fucking growth opportunity."...


Read the whole article.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger carolyn said...

Very timely. I am going through something very similar right now. The big mistake I made was continually forcing myself to accept her into our relationship as a triad as things just got worse and worse for me. Finally, I had to face the same reality: Thanksgiving dinner? Ok. All three in bed together: No way.

May 29, 2007 12:11 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

Carolyn,

One of my favorite sayings is, "If Rule #1 of polyamory is 'Communicate, communicate, communicate,' then Rule #0 is 'Let your relationships be what they are.' " (per Franklin Veaux).

Another way of putting it: You can encourage a relationship to grow closer, but you can't force it. This is okay. Let it find its natural level and accept it there.

Even in a very close-knit poly group, no two relationships are alike, and no two develop at the same speed. And this is okay.

May 29, 2007 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home