Polyamory in the News
. . . by Alan M.



May 2, 2008

"Portrait of an Open Marriage, Take Two"

Tango magazine

"I have gotten in the habit of calling my relationship with my husband an open marriage, strictly for lack of a better term," writes Jenny Block in the current Tango magazine (which bills itself as "smart talk about love"). Block has written a followup article there to her "Portrait of an Open Marriage" two years ago. Her book stemming from that first article, Open: Love, Sex & Life in an Open Marriage, is being published this month by Seal Press.


...But it wasn’t until I met Jemma that I started calling it polyamorous for one very simple reason. I love her. When I started seeing her, my heart expanded just like when someone has a second child.... What a great word. Polyamory. Many loves. Who wouldn’t want that? Of course, I could hardly believe it was possible myself until I was in it.

Wouldn’t I fall out of love with my husband? Wouldn’t it be a scheduling disaster? What will my kid think?... The truth is I love Christopher as much now as ever. Nothing, not even scheduling, is a burden when it comes to love. Emily, my daughter, thinks Jemma is my best friend, nothing more and nothing less. And she is.

...I discovered there are a whole lot of people out there in open and swinging and poly and other “alternative” lifestyles. And, the ones I know anyway, have proven to be thoughtful, kind, intelligent people who are trying to figure out their way in the world just like anyone else.


Read the whole article. And here's a video of Jenny talking about it.

Tango's website also has a short video clip of a couple on a date being interviewed about poly in Grand Central Station. He's gung ho; she sounds more cautious.

Also on the magazine's site is "Open Marriage: One Man's Surprising Take":


Our household runs on rational thought. Our feelings, just like everyone else’s, have little to do with rational thought. This is an enormous barrier to communication, but if you can figure out how to surmount it, then you’re in a very good place.

We communicate constantly, and to be quite honest, our external “affairs” are few and far between. Having the freedom to have emotions, on the other hand, has made this one of the easiest and best relationships I’ve ever been in. The honesty was specified up front, the trust built on that, and we have been quite happy for over 7 years now.


Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I had no idea that tangomag had prefaced my comment to an article on open marriage with a single paragraph, reprinted it, and called it an article. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, and thanks for the huge ego boost when I came across my words on your site.

I have enjoyed this column for several months, now, and was shocked and awed to find something *I* wrote in it. Thanks again.

May 18, 2008 12:45 AM  
Blogger Linda J. Meikle (Former Linda Cash) said...

I found out my son had a poly marriage only when they divorced! Since then I've done some research to understand it better and wrote a story about their life today for Helium.

June 24, 2008 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home