Polyamory in the News
. . . by Alan M.



January 10, 2013

Showtime renews Polyamory series for a second season

Variety

Natalia Garcia (second from right) with the San Diego quad from Season 1.

After months of waiting, and after months of vigorous efforts by producer/director Natalia Garcia to recruit additional cast, the Showtime cable channel has just announced that it's renewing last summer's Polyamory: Married and Dating reality docu-series for a second season. From Variety:


Showtime has renewed racy unscripted skeins "Gigolos" and "Polyamory" and will return the shows to its latenight lineup this year.

"Polyamory," which quietly entered the TV space but built buzz online after its debut [ahem! ––Ed.], follows people in polyamorous relationships, though it is unclear if season two will feature the same couples featured in the first season. However, in the fall, one cast member used her blog to call for new polyamorous people to "join" the original cast in the "next chapter" of the show. (At the time of the blog post, the status of "Polyamory's" future had not been determined.)


Congratulations to Garcia for doggedly pursuing her vision of portraying, explaining, and humanizing polyamory to a wide audience. Whatever you think of the entertainment industry as a whole, her passion for doing this is genuine.

She writes, "I'm very excited to continue enlightening viewers on alternative love styles. We're still working on what Season 2 is going to look like and should know soon. And thanks to everyone who supported this project, especially you Alan."

---------------------------------------

Trailer from Season 1, Episode 1:




[Permalink]

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yayyyy!!

January 10, 2013 11:20 AM  
Anonymous Ashley said...

I spoke to Natalie on reddit awhile back in the r/poly subreddit. Although I think the thought behind what she is doing is amazing, I think the way in which she is protraying polyamorous people is bad for us as a whole. She is basically telling mainstream society that our lives are all about sex, which, for most of us, I don't think it's quite that simple and easy. I seriously hope season 2 shows less sex and more of the other amazing aspects of leading a polyamorous lifestyle.

January 11, 2013 8:51 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

I have to disagree that Season 1 portrayed us as "all about sex." The vast majority of what we saw was about emotional and personal relationships, and how the people manage them, and how they interact with the rest of the world (family, friends, etc.) while living outside the traditional couple paradigm.

I think people obsess about the sex because any sex was shown at all. We're not used to seeing it when we see people's romantic relationships, but it's certainly an important part of the relationships. This time we did. The sex scenes were brief and tasteful, and showed the people interacting as people in a way that developed the whole picture -- not gratuitously. (I would say the scenes were R-rated but not NC-17.)

--Alan

January 11, 2013 11:56 AM  
Anonymous KG said...

Very good news! I loved the show. Like Ashley though I think the sex was overhyped. I want to see the emotional aspect which is very intense. Sex is fine, it just doesn't need to be so predominate.

January 11, 2013 4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked having a look at the sexual side of poly! It made me see how each person could imteract with every partner differently. As a bi woman in a "standard marriage" it opened my eyes.

April 23, 2013 1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am truly happy to hear about the New Season coming up. Does anyone know when this is supposed to air by chance?

Although Polyamory is not my lifestyle, I do look up to those that are dedicated in such a way. I know that this life really has nothing to do with sex (yes though it is involved) I find it amazing how each of you love beyond words!

June 01, 2013 7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just discovered this wonderful docu series and thougt it was detailed and i almost felt like a peeping tom there were moments that were pure honest and true it made me want to know so much more about these relationships and how they are different but are based on genuine love

July 18, 2013 1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have carefully listened and observed the two families portrayed in Poliamory. I say whatever makes you happy, but who wants to live with so many rules? What seems very evident to me is that Vanessa is madly in love with Lindsay and basically puts up with Anthony. In the other household, Kamala comes across as oversexed. Who can have so many lovers? There is not enough time in the day! Jen is in love with Tahl but doesn't like sex all that much given that penetration remark. I think she is a lesbian who is not completely aware she is a lesbian. She seems to prefer sex with Kamala. I did think it was laughable the reaction of all the parents when they were "told." They were so accepting of the whole thing without even questioning anything, with the exception of Tahl's parents who seemed more honestly shocked. I am a little concerned about Michael and Kamala's son.

July 25, 2013 2:32 AM  
Blogger Author B Swangin Webster said...

Do you know if the show is coming back for a third season. I stumbled upon this show and found that it was very interesting and I live in a poly relationship; which isn't like the ones portrayed on the show. I only sleep with my boyfriend but it gave him and his wife a new aspect and learning of what my challenges were.

March 12, 2014 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home