Polyamory in the News
. . . by Alan M.



October 2, 2008

Open Marriage Pro and Con on Tyra Banks

The Tyra Banks Show

The Tyra Banks Show this morning (Thursday, Oct. 2, 2008) ran a segment titled "They're Married, but They Sleep with Other People!" Tyra Banks is a daytime-TV talk show host with a reputation as being not quite as dumb and insipid as others.

Among the show's guests were several successful poly folks and two of our best spokespeople: Birgitte Philippides of Polyamorous NYC, and Jenny Block, author of Open: Love, Sex, and Life in an Open Marriage. Also featured was a survivor of an open marriage gone bad.

I didn't see the show (yet). It should eventually be available online.

Meanwhile, as Jenny puts it, the show's comment site is "burning up." Take a look, and chip in!

For the record, here's the show's promo description:


They're married, but they're dating other people! Meet couples who tied the knot, but still have sex with other partners! First, Tyra talks to Kamala and Michael, a married couple who loves their open relationship -- even embracing each other's additional sexual partners! But it's all not all fun and games as guest Kelly reflects on her experiences with open relationships, and why she's now totally opposed to the lifestyle. Finally, engaged couple Monique and Keith ask their unsuspecting friend to join them in an open relationship!


Update: Anita Wagner describes the show in detail on her Practical Polyamory blog. Her conclusion:


The bottom line is that there were no train wrecks here and I don't think we could have asked for this one to have turned out any better.


Update: Now you can watch it on YouTube: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5.

[Permalink]

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lucius Scribbens said...

The words "ask their unsuspecting friend to join them" had me scared there for a moment. Glad it didn't turn into a train-wreck.

October 21, 2008 12:10 PM  
Anonymous Girly-chic said...

I just saw the episode for the first time. It was fascinating to watch the amount of judgement, confusion and fear that was abound within the studio during that taping. The most important things to our happiness in dealing with one another are love, honesty, and freedom, and it's amazing to see what a stronghold norms have over us that they can override our higher thinking. I am actually open to the idea of an open relationship. I'm incredibly pleased that this group of people are who the Tyra team got on the show to discuss it. What a group of intelligent, beautiful, open, loving people! I've considered the possibility for myself, and have always shied away from it because of society's norms, as well as my lack of desire to label myself with any particular group. Seeing these very intelligent people with the same sensibilities regarding human relations as I have was an affirming revelation. I feel more confident in my desires and instincts regarding people that I have and will encounter. I feel supported in the fact that the love I have felt for the people in my life does not need to be limited in any capacity, contrary to what society's norms and conditioning have continuously tried to impose on our relationships. I can only hope that in my life and future relationships, I will meet people who are as smart, honest, and loving (not to mention, gorgeous), as this group of people who have found this in one another.

October 28, 2009 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home