Polyamory in the News
. . . by Alan M.



December 23, 2013

"My Big Polyamorous Wedding"

xoJane

In the "Issues" section of xoJane, a brassy online women's magazine that claims 4 million readers monthly, Angi Becker Stevens tells of her planned marriage ceremony to her boyfriend while married to her husband. They're all living together.


My Big Polyamorous Wedding

I've been married to my husband for 11 years, and I'm currently planning a wedding to my boyfriend, too. Yes, we're polyamorous. No, we're not freaks.

Angi Becker Stevens

...A few years ago, I never would have imagined I’d get married again. Since shifting to a non-monogamous relationship, I’d become cynical about marriage and the normative values I felt it represented. I still deeply loved my husband and was no less certain that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him, but often thought if I had it to do over again, I’d have skipped the legal marriage part. But then a funny thing happened: I fell in love again....

My husband is entirely supportive of the wedding; we would never have made such a decision in the first place if we were not already functioning harmoniously as a family....

Our friends are fantastically accepting of our relationship, but family [of origin] has been, unsurprisingly, a bit more complicated....

We sometimes crack jokes at our house -- while doing something mundane, like playing Wii together -- about how scandalous we are. But no matter how much we try to laugh it off, it’s still painful. All around me, I see unhappy, dysfunctional relationships that are legitimized by society because they fit the usual model, while our happy, healthy relationships are automatically written off as wrong and invalid because they look different from what people are used to....


Read the whole article (Dec. 21, 2013). It was reprinted at AlterNet Dec. 23.

At a news site called The Daily Globe, writer Kim LaCapria talks at length about why Angi's relationship life triggers so many readers' fragile psyches: Is Polyamory The New Gay Marriage? I Hope So (Dec. 23, 2013).

Angi's blog is The Radical Poly Agenda. Here are her previous articles I've noted (including this one; scroll down).

[Permalink]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home