Polyamory in the News
. . . by Alan M.



October 23, 2007

"Overseas Man, Or Guy At Home?"

WPIX.com (Pittsburgh) and others

Advice columnists Betty and Eddie, whose "DoubleTake" column appears on TV stations' websites nationwide, toss polyamory onto the table as something to consider for a women with two guy interests. And they know enough to warn that it needs to be done right. (Though they kinda go downhill from there.) We can't be getting mainstream or anything now....


LifeFiles: Overseas Man, Or Guy At Home?

October 23, 2007

I am a single mom in my late 20s and have been dating a guy on and off for the last three years.... Things really took a turn for a more serious commitment at the beginning of this year. In May, he decided to go work overseas for about a year. Since then, I have been hanging out with a guy that I have known for a while and have really taken a liking to him.

I really like both of these guys for totally different reasons. They both feed parts of me that I need. The guy overseas is coming home soon for a visit, and I don't know what to do about the guy who is here now.


Betty says:

I'm going to throw this out there just for open-mindedness' sake: Is there any reason why you can't date both of these men simultaneously?

From what I've heard, polyamory can be personally fulfilling — as long as you do it right. That said, I'm guessing you're more of the monogamous type....

Eddie says:

I'm not sure we're talking polyamory here, which implies at least an attempt to make a decision about the philosophy one wants to apply in his or her life. (Or his and his and hers and hers, as the case may be.)...


Read the whole item. And post a comment there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anita Wagner Illig said...

I was pleased to see that Betty proposed polyamory, and not so pleased that Eddie so quickly poo pooed the idea. I responded yesterday, but the editors haven't seen fit to publish my response, at least not yet.

I pointed out to Eddie that many people who are happy polyamorists today found themselves in situations in their monogamous past where they thought they had to make a choice because they were unaware that they had other viable relationship options. This person could quite conceivably be one of them some day. She certainly has the option.

Hopefully it will be reviewed soon and then published.

Thanks for all the great work you do for your community, Alan!

Smiles,
Anita
http://practicalpolyamory.blogspot.com

October 24, 2007 12:20 PM  
Blogger Chelona said...

I was also happy to see the comment by Betty. But for me, I felt that Eddie didn't really poo poo the idea as much as comment that poly isn't something to pick BECAUSE you find two guys, but "implies at least an attempt to make a decision about the philosophy one wants to apply in his or her life".

To me, but I agree wholeheartedly that other people might feel differently, it seems like he is telling her to take polyamory more seriously. IE not to jump to poly just because you are at a point in your life where you might have to make a choice. That poly should be a life decision about YOURSELF, and the way you want to run relationships, not just as an easy out to a specific situation.

October 25, 2007 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home